How I Kicked Arse in 2010.

Over the past year I’ve written a number of ‘woe is me’ posts. Examples are 14 Things You Don’t Know About Me and How I screwed Up My Blog in 2009. I’m glad I did. Allowing me to get certain shit out there allowed me to push past my perceived limitations and create something awesome.

The year has been all kinds of crazy. A relative attempted suicide, domestic violence, eviction. It has been incredibly stressful and has meant that I haven’t been able to devote as much time to my work as I would have liked. But you know what?

I bloody rocked it this year. At times everything was crumbling around me and I persevered. I shone. I kept on going when my mind and body were screaming at me to give up.

In this post, I talk about the stuff I’m proud of this year. And yeah, I get a little personal. It’s who I am and I’m damn proud of the businesswoman I’m becoming. And, yes. I totally told my shrink about this post today and he’s gonna read it. Hi! ;)

I stuck with my blog for a year

I’d been blogging for about 15 months before I started smsols. I got sick and screwed up a lot and, as a result, my blog was all over the place. It didn’t help that I’d hide anytime something big happened and I got too much attention.

When we started the business, I made the promise that I would stick to the blog for a year. That was hard. Boy, was that hard. I have no problem writing for other peoples audiences but the fear is almost paralyzing when it comes to writing on this one. It really freaks me out when people like David Risley and Jonathan Fields comment on here. So much that I usually shout at the laptop and have to pace around the house to calm down.

Despite the struggles, I did it. I didn’t make any major changes. I built upon previous successes. I participated in the community. It was freaking hard to do so considering the demands on my time but it’s something I’m glad I did. Writing for your own audience is harder than writing for someone elses and it was a skill that I needed to learn.

I stopped hiding from success

Hide and Seek 112/365

Image by SashaW

Earlier in the year, I paid $200 for a consulting session from Charlie Gilkey. I used to live on less then this each week so it represented a huge investment in my mind. I expected it to be a life changing experience where I would figure everything out. It didn’t.

What he did do was point out a number of things I was doing wrong and give several suggestions on how to change things. One of the suggestions was to stop shooting myself in the foot and hiding from change.

Now, change is a huge trigger. Change can leave me cowering under the bedsheets and crying down the phone to Bill, my parents or whatever telemarketer that has the misfortune to interrupt me. I dislike it, even when the change is good.

After that call with Charlie, I stopped hiding from change. I went to Vegas. I participated in a vanity publication. I constantly improved my blog and took up brilliant opportunities. It was scary and it challenged my anxiety at the very basic level. It made me physically sick and even triggered some serious symptoms like suicidal fantasies and thoughts of self mutilation.

I had the support of good friends and a mental health team and was able to get through the change. It was a necessary part of my recovery and taught me many skills. Now stuff changes faster than I can keep up with it and I’m fine. Amazing opportunities happen and I’m excited, but have to delay the happiness until I have time to slow down. It’s a fascinating contrast compared to I was just 6 months ago.

This puts me in a brilliant position for next year. I know there will be amazing opportunities coming up and I’ll be in the right mindset to take advantage of them. I’m really glad I took a slower path than many of my peers.

I embraced  jealousy

I’m very insecure. My anxiety disorder can be crippling, and I get really pissed off at how it interferes with my work. As such, I envy many of my peers.

• I’m jealous of the energy Mars Dorian injects into every post.
  • I’m jealous of how Annabel Candy is able to be everywhere, despite having a husband and children
  • I’m jealous of how Catherine Caine is so brilliant at being positive and structuring a business around her brilliance
  • I’m jealous of how when people find out about me, they usually contact Bill for design work because I have no clear service offerings

I don’t think this is something I’ll be able to get over for some and I’m cool with it. It’s not them I’m annoyed with, it’s myself, and that is something I have to deal with. Instead of fixating on how annoyed I am, though, I now choose to analyze the reason for my jealous. Often, it can lead to little improvements.

And yeah – I’m still jealous of the people above. I no longer hate them for their successes, which makes blogging a lot funner.

I learned how to love.

Heart
Image by seyed mostafa zamani

One of the things that happened during my nervous breakdown was that I lost the capacity to love. I used to think something was wrong with me in that I didn’t feel anything for people. Then, as I started to rebuild friendships, I thought as I was asexual as the idea of sex horrified me and made me want to punch people in the face. I thought relationships were asinine and something that weak people did because they couldn’t handle stuff on their own. Boy, was I wrong.

I haven’t told you the story of why Bill and I created Social Media Solutions. I fell in love with him and he didn’t love me back. He was all ‘Dude, friendship. What we have is awesome and I’m not wrecking that.’ And he was totally right – I’m glad he did it. The friendship is brilliant and I love that dude, platonically, to bits.

At the time though, I saw it as sheer rejection. I had dropped all my friendships when I was ill and Bill was moving 3000km away. We caught up at a nature reserve near his house and I cried, saying I was scared that he’d just drop the friendship when my anxiety was too hard to deal with and that I wanted him to be part of my life for a long time. He reassured me and has continued to reassure me all year. Letting someone into my life was one of the hardest things I have ever done. The trust built through this time led me to pitch the idea of the business, which he accepted.

Then, quite recently, an old friend came into my life. He was going through personal stuff around the same time I was and had also retreated socially. We caught up, geeked out, and are now dating. This is my first serious relationship and is a huge step for me.

Even though he broke my heart, Bill is the guy I have to thank for this. He supported me through one of the hardest times of my life and has continued to support me. The business is going through a huge growth phase. I’m in a relationship and have my shit together. Learning how to love, and the different types of love, is the thing that I am most proud of accomplishing.

So – what am I up to in 2011?

• I’m redesigning the blog. I want to make the focus on my work rather than my social media presence
  • I’m going to get back into guest posting. I’ll be contacting people I’ve promised posts too however if you’d like one, or an interview, now is the time to contact me.
  • I’m going to focus more on giving back to the community. This includes talking more about my anxiety disorder.
  • I’m going to focus on sites and products for the Australian social media market. I believe some of my projects will really be able to help people.

There is a load of other stuff. Stuff I can’t really talk about because the ideas are still fermenting. See you in a month!

64 Comments on How I Kicked Arse in 2010.

1. Christopher Lane
    December 14, 2010 at 11:19 pm (4 years ago)

I like the part where you talked about how incredible meeting me was. Oh wait, you didn’t! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! You will be hearing from my lawyers, Mr. Snookums and his associate Kirby. Yes they are plush toys, but damn it, THEY WILL BEAT YOU IN COURT!

• Jade Craven
      December 14, 2010 at 11:31 pm (4 years ago)

OMG you’re right. That is a total travesty and something that.. meh :-P

If I recall correctly I spent most of the Townsville trip crying and then broke my Iphone. And there weren’t many turtles at the Riverway. Therefore I have blocked all memories of that trip.

Who are you and why are you commenting on my blog? Are you a unicorn? :-)

• Christopher Lane
        December 14, 2010 at 11:54 pm (4 years ago)

I am a figment of your imagination. You don’t even blog. It’s all a lie. Right now you are in a padded white room screaming out racist remarks.

• Laneth Sffarlenn
          December 15, 2010 at 12:26 am (4 years ago)

And that padded white room is only a metaphor for a section of one’s brain where neurons aren’t firing as directly at each other, hence the sensation of being locked away in a “padded room” (brain tissue).

Or…not…

• Jade Craven
          December 15, 2010 at 7:09 pm (4 years ago)

Sexist, maybe. But not racist. :-) And all in jest.

2. karen gunton
    December 14, 2010 at 11:33 pm (4 years ago)

hi jade! amazing post, as always. one of the reasons i enjoy reading your stuff is your refreshing honesty and openness. i am sure it helps you to post this personal stuff but it helps your readers too – it reminds us that we can get through our own shit to find success. so thanks for that! i am excited to see what you do next and chat with you in the new year – your continued growth and success inspires me to figure out how to grow my ‘little side project’ and figure out how i can turn it into a successful branch of my biz. cheers =)

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 9:50 pm (4 years ago)

:-) Thanks!

I used to do pillar posts and a lot of advice based posts but they didn’t resonate with me. That’s not my teaching style. My blogs always sorta been the behind the scenes place where I just get stuff out of my head and rely on my work to impress people.

Looking foward to talking to you next year! I just have to get over a few horrid pieces of work and then I can relax and organize the conversations :)

3. Seth W
    December 14, 2010 at 11:59 pm (4 years ago)

Jade!

Awesome post. Glad you are an open and honest blogger. I’ve dealt with anxiety and have seen dramatic improvements this year.

I remember passing out in crowded rooms, speaking opportunities, even in the car(scary!)! Sometimes things just really freaked me out. The last couple of years I have really been better at managing my anxiety though and have not freaked out nearly as much.

This year I have even been live on the morning show, been on 3 evening news broadcasts, and even a radio interview! I’ve really gotten a lot out of knowing you deal with some of the same things. Before I read about your struggles I never talked about it to anyone online.

It’s been a big year for you and I’m excited to see your progress next year. Here’s to another better year!

Seth W

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 7:08 pm (4 years ago)

A lot of people have said that I’ve helped them to be more open about anxiety. I find that being honest about it makes my life so much easier. When I skype, I tell people that we need to talk shit for 10 minutes until I calm down. When I meet people in person, I tell them to ignore the body language. By being up front, I avoid the stupid self defeating thought cycle. Which means I skip the awkward shit and get straight to developing friendships.

I’m proud that you’ve made dramatic improvements. Do you know what motivated them? And wow – I couldn’t imagine being on TV/radio. That is a huge trigger for me so I’m impressed. I actually have a goal to do public speaking but know I have a bit more to do before I can get there.

Honestly dude – I’m freakin’ loving this journey. And, I love how I can share in the excitement. I was at my shrinks yesterday and was going ‘ok, theres a number of crap things in my life but I’m doing better then I ever thought possible.’

<3 Keep in touch, dude. And you are totally welcome to be interviewed or guest post on ‘theanxietyproject.com’ blog I’m starting next year. Or, you know, give ideas for it :P

– Jade

4. Sandi Amorim
    December 15, 2010 at 12:00 am (4 years ago)

Jade,
    Your honesty and vulnerability are inspiring. So often people put on the “I’ve got my shit handled” mask and it keeps others out. My guess is what makes you so great at connecting people is this quality you have of putting yourself out there in spite of your fear.

Can’t wait to see what you’ll be up to in 2011!

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t think that’s what makes me good at connecting with people. I think it helps people respect me and lower their bullshit radar a lot quicker. Honestly, the reason I kick arse at networking is because I’m a huge geek AND am naturally interested in what people do.

P.S your theme looks similar ;). I love what you are doing there; I’ll make a note to explore it more when I’m not working my butt off.

5. Andy Hayes
    December 15, 2010 at 12:33 am (4 years ago)

I’m jealous of how awesome and open you are. It’s brave, it’s bold, it’s Jade.

And if you ever want to guest post about travel, there’s a site for that. =)

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 7:04 pm (4 years ago)

I had to become really open because I’d forget the cover story I had when I had the breakdown. I love being honest. It’s made me a lot free-er to be my crazy, ill and awesome self.

:-P I’ve had very little experience with travel, other than local daytrips. Goal for next year is to get a car!

6. Laneth Sffarlenn
    December 15, 2010 at 12:39 am (4 years ago)

Brilliant stuff Jade! From the six months that I’ve known you, I’ve seen you live embody the idea of a blossom opening up into an amazing flower. You certainly have rocked 2010! (2011 has no idea what’s coming for it!)

I echo the sentiments above in that your honesty, up-front ballsiness in revealing personal shite and your sheer tenacity in talking truths is so encouraging, inspiring and just damn awesome that I do quite enjoy reading your blog too. I may not comment much, but that’s a symptom of my time management more than anything else.

I have to say that my envy of you comes from this statement:
    “Writing for your own audience is harder than writing for someone elses…”
    For me, writing about the things I’m interested in or for my “audience” comes much easier than writing for someone else whose niche or topic is typically something I know nothing about. I’m not great at research and take a long time to read / write stuff, so if there’s anything that I could learn from you it would be that.

Have a great month off and I simply cannot wait to catch up with you either over the holidays or in early 11.

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm (4 years ago)

You decide when and I’ll be there :-)

For me writing for my own audience is difficult because of the connection I feel. I worry that I’ll say something to offend me readers and those that I care for. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I want the approval of my inner circle.

On another persons site, I’m free of that. I can let the true me shine and write pieces that aren’t suitable for me blog. I love the freedom and learning experience of that.

Now excuse me. I have work to do so I can play TOTEM TENNIS then eat ice cream. Oh yeah I rock

7. Ali Luke
    December 15, 2010 at 4:05 am (4 years ago)

Yeeeeeeaaah!

*ahem*

It is so so good to see you posting about the stuff you do well. I’m glad you’re starting to see it properly. WE know you’re rocking it. :-D

Very best of luck for 2011 — really looking forward to seeing where you go. Have a great rest over the next month. :-)

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 9:48 pm (4 years ago)

Shush :P I did this personal strengths test and humility came right out at the top. So, like, being all shy about my work is technically ok. Huzzah.

But thanks. I’m looking forward to see how I go in 2011, especially since I’m planning to take a step back YET accomplish more. It’s weird but awesome. See you in Vegas :)

8. Neil Matthews
    December 15, 2010 at 4:58 am (4 years ago)

Hi Jade

The courage of some of your recent blogs posts, in particular this one have amazed me.

You are awesome as the yanks say.

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t remember any recent posts being courageous :P Other than admitting the whole blogworld vomit incident but oh well, as you would say, I was there hobnobbing :P

9. Scott McIntyre
    December 15, 2010 at 6:47 am (4 years ago)

Hi Jade,

It’s great to read about what you got up to over the year… written in your usual honest style.

I hope you enjoy your rest and come back refreshed so that you can achieve more of the stuff you want in 2011.

Thank you for your support too – I really appreciate it ;-)

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm (4 years ago)

:-) I’ll be able to support more people if I have the rest. I’ll still work on stuff but I’ll be able to go off and hike or birdwatch. And we all know talking about subspecies of rare parrots makes for a fascinating blog post ;)

Looking forward to what you are going to accomplish in 2011!

Jade

10. Natalie
    December 15, 2010 at 7:15 am (4 years ago)

Here’s to fabulous month off! Chink. (that was my virtual toast to you). I’m late to the 2010 party but I can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

Your openess is so gutsy. Anyone with that much guts is going to be so so so successful. Tts!

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm (4 years ago)

:) Thanks – I’m kinda blushing here. Most people still don’t know about me, honestly, I try to keep under the radar. Next year though I plan to change that so you can say “I knew Jade when she was young and photographing cats from her office window during work hours”

I don’t think it’s guts that leads to success – I know a LOT of people with guts. I think it’s just pushing through the dip until the good stuff happens. And, now the good stuff is happening :)

Thanks for your recent support.

11. Andy Dolph
    December 15, 2010 at 7:47 am (4 years ago)

Wow. Quite a roller coaster of a year! I am really blown away by your courage! So many things that might well have stopped me in my tracks – and yet you moved forward, got the support and help you needed and now are doing amazing stuff.

Thank you for inspiring me!

Andy

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 8:04 pm (4 years ago)

:-P You have no idea how much this, and last, year sucked. Oh how they failed. I’ve told bits and pieces to some people and they are usually like ‘how do you manage to keep going?’

It’s not courage though, which is a word that keeps on coming up. It was instinct. And it was pure emotional hell. I’m so thankful for Bill Journee for supporting me the way he did because I’ve cried down the phone to him multiple times wishing I could give up, because I couldn’t handle the personal stress from a number of severe situations.

:-P And teh stuff I’m most amazed of doing is having a clean house, or being able to walk around Vegas and not get lost… much.

Thanks, dude :)

12. Catherine Caine
    December 15, 2010 at 5:08 pm (4 years ago)

You’re a wonder, no doubt about it. :)

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 8:08 pm (4 years ago)

<3 I have kick arse mentors, mentor-face. :-) ( note to self: watch farscape on break)

13. Milo
    December 15, 2010 at 5:11 pm (4 years ago)

Congratulations Jade!

I really relate to the jealousy thing but it’s not something I’ve really wanted to acknowledge about myself. Thanks for expressing it so openly here, I now recognise it’s something I need to work on a lot more.

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 7:58 pm (4 years ago)

Jealousy sucks. It can really eat me up and I preferred to just look at it as disliking them. But my best friend/biz partner would challenge me on that and I’d end up admitting I was super jealous.

It’s also hard dealing with it. I’m just… I don’t know. I’m going to try and let it go and realize that I have a different life to other bloggers. I have different limitations and I can’t compare myself to people who have a life that I perceive as being better. They may have problems that they aren’t as open about, or have struggles in other parts of their life.

The more people talk about, the less taboo it is. Which makes it easier to figure out how to get better and work on stuff.

Thanks for the comment :)

• Milo
        December 16, 2010 at 7:03 am (4 years ago)

I think jealousy can be good up to a point as it means you know in yourself that you could be doing better.

I certainly don’t feel any ill will towards people who are more successful than me, it’s just that I get frustrated with my own progress in comparison to theirs.

So maybe it’s my own limiting beliefs that are the real problem!

Anyway I agree that being open helps. Having read your ‘how I screwed up my blog’ post last year I can now really appreciate how well you’ve done this year and why it’s so meaningful :)

14. Nathalie Lussier
    December 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm (4 years ago)

Yay Jade! I especially love that you shared the personal side, and the relationship stuff. It’s such a huge piece of our lives, and sometimes we tend to stuff it down or not talk about it. Sooo happy for you! :D

And I’m so glad we got to meet at BlogWorld, and that you’re kicking ass into 2010, 2011, and beyond! (Insert Buzz lightyear quote here.)

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 8:01 pm (4 years ago)

:-P You are totally right about the personal side of things. It’s like, I’ve accomplished some awesome things in the past year but the stuff I really care about is the personal stuff. A couple of years ago I couldn’t see a way out of my mental illness. Now I can achieve dreams and not freak out.

I’m really excited about what 2011 brings. And next blogworld, I’ll make sure I’m not stressed so I can really enjoy myself rather than sit with awesome people and feel like I’m not good enough to hang with them :-)

15. Kirsty Hall
    December 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm (4 years ago)

Kudos to you for writing this post, Jade. I love that you keep going, even when things are tough. And I love that you recognise your limits but don’t let them defeat you. I’ve said it before but I’m gonna say it again – you inspire me.

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm (4 years ago)

Shankies :) You inspire me heaps too, we are part of the same collective. Resistance is futile, dudette.

16. Richard Huf
    December 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm (4 years ago)

Great post, Jade. Very inspiring. I agree with other commenters, it’s good to see other people overcoming stuff. Put’s things in perspective.

The site looks great, too.

17. Fleur Anderson
    December 15, 2010 at 6:33 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Jade, great post. I really got a lot from your honesty. To continue through those moments says to me that you have found something that you are passionate about and you are ont he right path.
    Oh and while we are talking about taming jealousy, dont forget people are crazy jealous of you too! I was crazy jealous that I was talking to people that were recommending to get in touch with you! I would be totally stoked if I was being recommended left right and centre.
    Heres to a rockin 2011 – I hear you!

• Jade Craven
      December 15, 2010 at 11:28 pm (4 years ago)

;) If I remember correctly, one of those people was Bill. He’s my best friend so he’s kinda biased.

Honestly though, it freaks me out that I get recommended so much. For most of this year I couldn’t understand why it was happening or what to do with the referrals. I can understand why people would be jealous but it was a real struggle to deal with.

Let me know if I can ever help you. And if you want to be recommended all over the place, read the Referral Engine. Really useful book.

18. Alexis neely
    December 16, 2010 at 8:01 am (4 years ago)

Jade, I love this post. I’ve discovered that almost everyone has major challenges, but most people hide them or let them stop them. Your willingness to persevere and talk about them publicly is helping so many other people get through theirs and keep moving forward. Thank you for being you out loud.

Alexis

19. Mars Dorian
    December 16, 2010 at 6:19 pm (4 years ago)

Hey Jade,

that’s an awesome retrospect. I especially admire how openly you discuss your problems and “failures” – that’s something that I still struggle with. I always want to show my best side :)

You have accomplished so much this year – both personal and business-wise. I believe 2011 will be epic for you.

Way to go !

And PS: The energy I put into my posts is learn-able !
    Just listened to your favorite music or bird in your case and get the party started :)

• Jade Craven
      December 16, 2010 at 7:59 pm (4 years ago)

I’m naturally low on energy when my life is this hectic. I need more time to recharge which is why I’m rocking things up next year. I want my energy back.

I will recommend that you look at discussion your ‘failures’ more. I’m open about the good and bad things that happen and it is something that appears to really resonate with people. It’s not intentional, I’m just being myself, but it seems to be one of the major points of referral.

Thank you for the nice words. Now, do my work for me :)

20. Andrew Blanda
    December 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm (4 years ago)

Congratulations, Jade – whilst I may not have been much of an ‘active’ part of your life in 2010 I certainly have been interested in your journey. I note in one of your responses above you mention “I had to become really open because I’d forget the cover story I had when I had the breakdown.”

This is one of the most profound statements of everything you’ve written and reminds me of this line which I use quite often (but not often enough): “Truth is the path of least resistance”.

I will continue watching (and being part of) your journey as time dictates and hope 2011 works out well for you! :-)

• Jade Craven
      December 17, 2010 at 2:25 am (4 years ago)

Truth is definitely the path of least resistance. I do get a lot of comments about my honesty and openness but it’s become part of who I am. It makes life so much simpler. I get so annoyed with people who beat around the truth because they unnecessarily complicate things.

Not many people have been an active part of this year because I haven’t let them. I’ve had to retreat inside myself to get through this year – I haven’t yet got the capacity to handle a demanding work schedule and most friendships. I’ve kept a close circle of friends – Bill, and some Melbourne people, an focused on getting my business to a level where I can change priorities. You can be part of 2011 if you go on the Nullaboor road trip you promised :P Mwah haha

21. Bridget
    December 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm (4 years ago)

Jade-
    Your bravery and honesty in this post has had a deep impact on me. 2010 was hella hard on a lot of people, including me. And I am so, so happy to see that you’re using your experiences to move forward with life.
    It sparks me to use my experiences to move forward with my life.
    You’re all kinds of awesome, Jade. All kinds.

22. Naomi Niles
    December 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm (4 years ago)

I am seriously impressed by how openly honest you are. I mean this as a compliment. Kudos to you.

When your mindset is right, you can do anything you choose to. I know great things are in store for you.

23. Casey Stevens
    December 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks for sharing Jade, very inspiring post.

The past year has seen me dig a rut the size of the grand canyon and then attempt to bury myself in it.

So thanks for sharing your ups and downs and showing things can change.

Bring on 2011 :-)

24. Financial Samurai
    December 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm (4 years ago)

Howdy Jane, I’m new to your site. I run a personal finance site and a blogging network site called Yakezie.

I’m very interested in understanding more about your anxiety disorder. What is it that makes you anxious? Also, is there any physical chronic pain manifestation such as lower back pain?

Cheers, Sam

25. Bill Wetherington
    December 30, 2010 at 3:10 pm (4 years ago)

“I stuck with my blog for a year.” LOVE that line.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sworn I would do that…and after a month or so I just quit because I thought no one would be interested in anything I had to say.

THANK you for this article and keep it comin! :)

Bill

26. Marlee
    December 31, 2010 at 6:28 am (4 years ago)

Jade!

I’m excited for your changes in 2011. I rarely pop up in your comments, but I’m a mega LURKER. My goal in 2011 is to stop lurking and engage (after all that is where the fun is right).

Despite the fact that I have no clue who you “really” are and vice versa, I feel I’ve gotten to know you some through all you’ve shared here.

To me, you’ve been inspirational, insightful, and incredibly interesting. I learn a lot from you Jade. You are very talented and courageous. I hope you have a brilliant New Year!

27. Ayngelina
    January 3, 2011 at 7:54 am (4 years ago)

Just found your blog and subscribed based on this post.

I’ve been blogging for about a year now and also thought about getting consulting services as I think I need a bit of help. Did the $200 do it for you or did you find you needed a whole lot more help. I’m backpacking so my budget is TIGHT!

• Jade Craven
      January 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm (4 years ago)

It really depends. Some people consult and they change your mindset. This has no immediate benefit but can result in massive changes over a year.

Then there are people who focus on solving specific problems during the consult, like Catherine Caine. These are better when on a budget.

Another idea is to join a forum where you can benefit from the community. The only problem is that you have to invest time in order to get advice back.

I’d recommend this guy: http://blogcastfm.com/services/ He’s a good friend and is more affordable then most.

Hope this helps!

28. Sloane Berrent
    January 3, 2011 at 8:06 am (4 years ago)

Amazing annuaa review. Thank you for being you and sharing yourself with all of us. I was super inspired by you, and a few other summations of 2010 and wrote about it. Wanted you to see it. Thank you so much for your honesty and your heart.

Happy new year!
    Sloane

29. Corrine/Frock & Roll
    January 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm (4 years ago)

WELL DONE, Jade! You’ve conquered an enormous year, achieved some incredible things and I have no doubt that in 2011, you’ll be kicking even more butt! :)

30. Annabel Candy, Get In the Hot Spot
    January 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Jade, lol, and I’m jealous of you because you’re young, smart and gorgeous:) I can’t wait to see you carrying on kicking arse in 2011 and forever. Sending lots of love from Noosa xoxox A

31. Jaky Astik
    January 13, 2011 at 3:21 am (4 years ago)

It’s so good to see that you took it positively. Social Media may come to an end, but real relationships, the helps, the learnings, the friends, they all remain with you.

I believe that blog should never be marketed. They should be converted into a package of usefulness and handed over to people who need them.

I don’t believe in convincing, but recommending. I’ve screwed up a lot too and I know how tough that is. But here were are, living to enjoy the contrast.

Such an inspiring post this is! You deserve a new subscriber! Congrats!

32. sylvia
    January 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm (4 years ago)

Wow. This is one of the most honest and inspiring blogposts I have ever read. Since I found you through your high profile problogger blogpost, this came as a huge surprise. I’m amazed at what you have achieved despite your anxiety.

• Jade Craven
      January 15, 2011 at 2:32 am (4 years ago)

:-) Thanks!

It’s been a rough journey over the past two years. The anxiety is now manageable even though it makes life hard. It means a lot that it resonated with you. I want to show the world that you can overcome mental illness.

– Jade

33. mike
    January 15, 2011 at 11:19 am (4 years ago)

after reading though this post, it looks like i have a lot of work to do and a lot to learn. i’m just starting out my blog. would love it if you wanted to write a guest post.

the blog looks great. i dont know if this is your new design or still the old design, but i like the style and simplicity.

mike

34. Alison Moore Smith
    January 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm (4 years ago)

Nice read. I hate to say it, but you’ve been added to my regular reading list — which is too full already.

Best to you in 2011.

35. Riley Harrison
    February 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm (4 years ago)

Hello Jade,
    “I embrace jealousy” – I’ve always cast envy in a positive light; it tells me what I might desire and where I might legitimately be lacking. For me it’s a wonderful starting point for self examination and sometimes upon deeper reflection I discover I really didn’t want something I just kind of got caught up in the moment; but if what I want is is good for me, I hope I have the courage to go after it. Wish you the best.

Riley

36. Bolaji O (like the hotel in Vegas)
    April 5, 2011 at 12:55 pm (4 years ago)

Amazingly touching and insightful.

It’s an honor and privilege to share in this autobiographical odyssey.
    Thanks for letting us learn more about ourselves, in learning about you, Jade.

Bolaji.

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on How I Kicked Arse in 2010.

1. [...] Craven talks about how she rocked it out in 2010 despite a whole lotta [...]

2. [...] and a good reminder to step up and step into what I did well last year. 4. Jade Craven’s How I Kicked Arse In 2010 I bloody rocked it this year. At times everything was crumbling around me and I persevered. I [...]

3. [...] How I Kicked Arse in 2010. | Jade Craven Goodbye divs and tables! Welcome Multi-column text using CSS3 (via Red Team Design) [...]